Old Boys Collegians Cricket Club

News

A Word from Wakers

A Word from Wakers

Last season I spent the majority of the summer playing grade cricket in Adelaide for Tea Tree Gully District CC – there I was lucky enough to rub shoulders with some of the best cricketers that South Australia had to offer and play a really high standard of cricket. Coming straight from NZ, there were a few noticeable differences between OBC and TTG: Firstly, it was evident that this club really meant business from the way it trained – with an ex Australian test cricketer as their full time coach overseeing proceedings, he had their fast bowlers steaming in with brand new balls and making batsmen uncomfortable every session, which meant their trainings were intense and fiercely competitive with team spots up for grabs; and secondly there was a real emphasis on the social side of things, where the club events and gatherings after games and trainings were real highlights.

Given this, it came as no surprise at how successful this club was, winning every game in all formats except the finals across their top two sides… Coming back to OBC this season I was ready to try implement what I’d learnt across the ditch and push some positive change within the club in terms of raising our standards at training and emphasising the importance of social identity as a club – however, to my delight, I haven’t needed to.

Both on the field and off the field, OBC has taken massive strides forward already this season through a concentrated effort from the committee, senior members of the club and playing group – and it has shown through straight away with most of the cricket we’ve played this season with 4 wins from 6 matches, along with some stand out personal performances to kick our season off. Our training sessions are currently as good as I’ve seen them in the 4 seasons I’ve been at the club – we are always working on ways to improve and by practicing with a purpose we are building up our skills and giving ourselves the best chance to have success during the weekends. Socially we’ve grown a lot too with a successful pre season trip to Dunedin and the Elmwood Trading Company being a regular after trainings and matches – which I believe is a massive part of the club’s early success.

The challenge for us now is to keep pushing this positive change forward and striving to get better. When we are consistently nailing the process, results are sure to follow – watch this space! #betheclub

David Wakefield
Old Boys Collegians Cricket Club

Posted in: Mens

Leave a Comment: (0) →